Alarian Empire
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alarian Empire

A journey to discover the story..

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Voice chat

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Krothi
Student
Student

Voice chat Empty
PostSubject: Voice chat   Voice chat Icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2008 8:32 pm

Is there any plans in the near future to have a dedicated voice chat program like Ventrilio for the server ?

Seti Dux What a Face
Back to top Go down
wdneq
Student
Student
wdneq

Voice chat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Voice chat   Voice chat Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 6:58 am

I can see the benefits of voice chat, the chatting social interaction, and the fast response of "hey look out" etc etc

But personally i cant stand it, i feel it ruins the immersion of the game (just my opinion)..

You have a eg. 7' tall ogre clas in plate swinging what appears to be a club (big enough to be a bridge support)

and then a voice like my daughters informs me Orcs are attacking, it just doesnt sound right..

**in no way is this a reflection on anyones ogre or daughter who plays :p **
Back to top Go down
Ricros
Student
Student

Voice chat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Voice chat   Voice chat Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 8:25 am

Thats one way of looking at it. I was once in a guild that started using voice chat about a month after i joined. 3/4 of us were pretty gung-oh for it, really didn't bother us much. The rest had about the same concept as you do wdneq.

I made a solution for about half of that remaining number to make a roleplay channel. Where if you join that channel, you have to try and talk like your character would. For instance, your Ogre daughter would have to deepen/roughen her voice a little and speak in broken English. Myself as another example am playing a Dwarf cleric on here, so i would speak in a bass tone with hints of Celtic mannerisms.

I made that solution because i view it as a two way street. In the game chat, i would not expect that 7' tall ogre to type with perfect grammer. Yet most of the time they do, and that kills my immersion just as much. So i might as well have fun talking to actual people, learning more about the real players, and sometimes dropping into the roleplay channel just for some fun.
Back to top Go down
wdneq
Student
Student
wdneq

Voice chat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Voice chat   Voice chat Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 11:39 am

An excellent way of looking at it , i completely overlooked the typing could also kill the immersion..

On a quick side note, was good meeting up with you tonight in Blackburrow on my Rogue "Lilrat"..
Back to top Go down
Ricros
Student
Student

Voice chat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Voice chat   Voice chat Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 2:44 pm

Indeed. I have been getting on for 10-30 minute play periods because of RL issues right now, but i hope to catch up with you more in game.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Voice chat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Voice chat   Voice chat Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Voice chat
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Alarian Empire :: Server Party :: Server Discussion-
Jump to: